- Write more complete history and geography of E. Country
- Last few rulers
- Complete list of political factions
- Changes since Large Historical Event A (especially population distribution)
- Overarching opinions of H. Country
- Overarching opinions of Political Event B
- Restrictions caused by Political Event B
- Cultural and legal changes caused by Political Event B
- Decide exact place of H.H in E. Country politics.
- Rework magic system
- Exact workings of E. Country magic system
- Decide how E. Country’s system can or cannot interact with H. Country’s.
- Why must H. Country use their rune system, why not current language, since their magic is based on linguistics, not inherent to the language itself?
- Country Details (already started)
- Decide on current fashion, how style is different to E. Country, and effects of the magic system on textiles
- Better descriptions of how common households are laid out, what magics and technologies the average person has, etc.
- Common foods – what is local, what is imported
- Common family and household structures.
Characters who Need Fixing
- Collate all my notes; split into categories so I can easily reference them
- Create new outline
So, as anyone who’s following the Twitter will know, I finished the readthrough pass. It took a little longer than I’d like, but that’s how these things shake out.
I’m also sort of glad that I chose this particular book to do the live edit pass on, because hoo boy we’re going to have material for months. Continue reading
Here begins the edit pass of an upcoming book that I’m going to refer to as tKC.
Some stats to begin with – since I won’t be talking about a previous phase of editing here, I’m just going to fill in some details of the actual book so that people have an idea of what I’m talking about. Continue reading
Hey everyone. I’ve been away for a while because of Worldcon, but I’ve finally found some time to get things written.
That Little Nightmares series is about to start, I promise. But I’m also doing something else at the moment that I want to run concurrently, because it’s going to be a little patchier than the rest of the cohesive series-esque-type-things that I do. Continue reading
You know the drill by now. I like being opinionated about things, and I like analysing stories. This is yet another blog post about how I like to do it. Continue reading
Quick personal update. Everything is pretty much booked and ready — I’ll be at Worldcon this year in San Jose! Super excited — I’ve never been to America before.
If anyone happens to be there, I don’t have a dealer’s stand at all, but you can message me on Facebook or Twitter if you want to catch me while I’m there.
That, or look for the one with the purple hair and the look of existential confusion.
I’m looking forward to the trip!
Hello, thorny topic. Good to know I’m getting into one of these again so soon after a big hiatus.
I’m an editor, and a big part of my job is making sure that spelling and grammar are correct in people’s writing. Or at least, correct enough. I’ll get to that in a sec. Continue reading
I get it. Sometimes liking things is embarrassing.
I’ve certainly liked media that, for whatever reason, I keep an I-would-tell-you-but-then-I’d-have-to-kill-you policy on. But those are getting fewer and further between, honestly. Not because I’ve suddenly started liking things that are better quality. That is manifestly untrue. Continue reading
It’s here! The day when you can purchase a copy of The Ferryman’s Apprentice of your very own!
I won’t make this too long — there’s only so many ways you can say “yay! I’m giving you an opportunity to spend money!” before you start sounding demanding and/or unreasonable. So quick reminder: This doesn’t mean I’m taking down the free chapters online, this is just for folks who don’t like the website way of reading things.
You can find the e-books at:
Or, if physical is more your speed, pick up a physical copy at:
If you like what I do but you don’t want a copy yourself, as always, you can throw a few bucks my way on Patreon, or just tell a friend that there’s an awesome story floating around the Intertubes.
Hey all! Quick update because things do sometimes go in my favour!
New date when you can purchase The Ferryman’s Apprentice Part One as an e-book or a print book is the 6th of June!
Reiterating: This doesn’t mean you can’t read the online version for free anymore. This is just for those who want to own a copy, or (yes I’m an optimist, I’m aware) would like to contribute to my eventual writing career. The full text of The Ferryman’s Apprentice will always be available for free as long as this website is up and running.
Regular bloggy thought will return soon, and expect a new chapter of The Ferryman’s Apprentice Season 3 this Monday!